'Unique' Self-catering Holiday Homes in Ireland - Vacation Rental Houses - Irish Holiday Rentals
Two 4 Star 'Coach-houses' and 3 Star 'Dawson House' - holiday house accommodation in Ireland. Registered with the Irish Tourist Board (Failte Ireland) and Laois Tourism.
A Happy St. Patrick's Day to our guests from us here in Coolbanagher!
Céad Mile Fáilte - Welcome to The Old Rectory Irish Self-catering Houses/Rentals, in County Laois, situated just 20 minutes from Kildare and only one hour from Dublin, Kilkenny and Cashel - an ideal place for your holiday in Ireland.
Our self-catering holiday accommodation is open all the year. Contact us for more information on renting The Old Rectory selfcatering accommodation in Ireland to arrange that 'Summer Holiday in Ireland' ..... or perhaps to visit family or friends in Co. Laois, Kildare, Offaly or Kilkenny. Bookings are made directly through the owners, Wilfred and Ingrid through the 'Contact Us' page or by telephone.
Sunbeams on a frosty morning.
The Old Rectory holiday house rentals nestle in the beautiful heart of the Irish countryside, in the village of Emo, Co Laois, Ireland. They are located just 2 kilometres off the M7 and just an hour from Dublin, Kilkenny and Cashel. 'The Old Rectory' was constructed in 1785, for the Hon. Rev William Dawson (son of Lord Carlow), and has been the home of the Deverell family since the 1950's. The Courtyard has now two 4* luxury holiday houses The Coachhouse and The Loft (vacation rentals), also 3* Dawson House. Each has it's own unique charm and offer reasonably priced 'stress free breaks' away from the hustle, bustle and stresses of modern life.
The Courtyard at The Old Rectory.
These 'family run' self catering holiday houses are part of a working farm. 'The Old Rectory' is the ideal base, for a holiday in Ireland, from which to explore the beauty and peace of the Midlands - Location. This is also a great 'place to stay' for touring, for day trips and to visit many parts of Ireland - Dublin, Kilkenny, Cashel, Birr and Kinnitty Castles, Glendalough and the Wicklow Mountains, Killaloe and Lough Derg, The Cliffs of Moher or Galway City. Ingrid & Wilfred will be happy to help you plan out 'days excursions' and to advise you about interesting places to see and things to do in the locality.
A family walk on a frosty morning in Emo Park.
Photo: Andrea Deverell
What is 'Self-catering Accommodation'?
A holiday house in Ireland with all the comforts of home - where you can cook meals for yourself, when you want. Bed linen and towels are supplied. In France it is called 'Gite', in Spain 'Apartamentos el alquiler', in America 'Holiday Rental' or 'Condo', in New Zealand 'Motel' - we would love to know what the term is in other countries?? Please email us: The Old Rectory
Attractions in County LaoisThe area abounds with interesting attractions.
- The bluebells in Emo Woods are worth a visit - end of April and beginning of May late this year - they will not out until May. Not to be missed! (See photo below in our gallery)
A picture of Shadow our golden retriever - who sadly died in the autumn.
- Visit 'Georgian' Emo Court, designed by James Gandon, and its Lakeside Gardens (seen above) which are in the village of Emo. The house (see below) will be open again at Easter for visitors - (entrance fee). The gardens are open all the year and provide a wonderful place for your daily walk or run, at no charge. Emo Court details. There are many interesting trees to be seen. Spoil yourself and stop in delightful 'Tea Rooms' - open 10am - 5pm at week-ends during winter months and then daily.
- Take a walk around the 'The Rock of Dunamaise', count how many counties you can see?
- TIPS OF THE MONTH!!
- Visit the snowdrops in Altamount Gardens near Tullow, Co. Carlow - a lakeside garden. A sight to see during February!
- Visit The Mountmellick Work Museum. The museum has many old and new pieces of Mountmellick Work - sometimes called Mountmellick Lace or Embroidery. The museum is found in The Old Quaker town of Mountmellick. Day courses can be arranged. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit EMO COURT and the woodland gardens in picturesque village of Emo. The Gandon designed house is open for tours from Easter (entrance fee)- no charge to visit the gardens. The gardens are especially beautiful in spring when there are banks of daffodils around the trees and in the autumn when the leaves turn to wonderful autumnal shades.
- Visit 'The Fisherman's Thatched Inn' in Fisherstown - one of the oldest 'pubs' in Ireland (circa 16th century) and on 'The Whiskey Trail of Ireland'. http:www.irelandwhiskeytrail.com Sean Ward must be one of Ireland's most welcoming landlords!
- Visit the Georgian Coolbanagher Church designed by James Gandon which celebrated its' 225th Anniversary in May 2010. Email email@example.com for information on 'Baptisms' and 'Burials' from 1810.
- Visit Moneygal, Co. Offaly, where Barak Obama's ancestors were born.
- Enjoy shopping - visit 'Kildare Village Shopping Outlet', just 20 minutes away!l]
- For those interested in Irish Genealogy or searching for ancestors in Co. Laois log onto: Laois Genealogy
- Walk in the Slieve Bloom Mountains, or beside the local canal or perhaps in one of the many woodland walks.
- Interested in Irish Heritage visit Abbeyliex Heritage Centre.
- Interested in gardens, then visit GASH GARDENS in picturesque Castletown, Co. Laois.
- Coarse or game fishing..... then visit the Laois Angling Centre at Coolrain, just 3 miles off the N7. The four lakes are stocked regularly with brown & rainbow trout, carp and bream ensuring a varied and interesting experience.
Laois Angling Centre
NB: Our email address changed at the end of July 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org